Total Pageviews

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Les Miserables

Went to the movies this evening with the lovely Library ladies, Helena, Janis (retired like me) and Kathy.  We all thoroughly enjoyed this one and having a few Kleenex handy was an asset.  I would recommend going to see this one.


In 1815, convict Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is released on parole by prison guard Javert (Russell Crowe) after serving a nineteen-year sentence. He is offered food and shelter by the Bishop of Digne (Colm Wilkinson), but steals his silver during the night. He is caught by the authorities, but the Bishop says that the silver was given as a gift, and secures Valjean's release. Touched by the Bishop's generosity, Valjean breaks his parole and vows to start an honest life under a new identity. Javert swears he will bring the escaped convict to justice.

Eight years later, Valjean has become a factory owner and mayor of Montreuil-sur-Mer. Fantine (Anne Hathaway), one of his workers, is discovered to be sending money to her illegitimate daughter, Cosette (Isabelle Allen), who lives with the unscrupulous Thénardiers (Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter) and their daughter Éponine (Natalya Wallace), and is dismissed by the foreman (Michael Jibson). Left with no alternative, Fantine turns to prostitution. During an argument with an abusive customer, Javert, now a police inspector, arrests Fantine, but Valjean intercedes and takes her to a hospital.

Later, Valjean learns that a man believed to be him has been arrested. Unable to condemn an innocent man, Valjean reveals his identity to the court before departing for the hospital. There he promises a dying Fantine that he will look after her daughter. After escaping from Javert, Valjean finds Cosette and pays the Thénardiers to allow him to take her, and promises to be like a father to her.

Nine years later, Jean Maximilien Lamarque, the only government official sympathetic toward the poor, is nearing death. Students Marius Pontmercy (Eddie Redmayne) and Enjolras (Aaron Tveit), together with street urchin Gavroche (Daniel Huttlestone), discuss revolution. Marius later catches a glimpse of Cosette (Amanda Seyfried), now a young woman, and instantly falls in love with her. Meanwhile, despite Cosette's questioning, Valjean refuses to tell her about his past or her mother.

At a café, Enjolras organises a group of idealistic students as Lamarque's death is announced. Meanwhile, Éponine (Samantha Barks), now Marius's friend, leads him to Cosette, where the two profess their love for one another. Lamenting that her secret love for Marius will never be reciprocated, Éponine fatalistically decides to join the revolution. Later, an attempted robbery of Valjean's house makes him mistakenly believe that Javert has discovered him, and he flees with Cosette. As they leave, Enjolras rallies the Parisians to revolt, and Marius sends a farewell letter to Cosette.

The next day, the students interrupt Lamarque's funeral procession and begin their assault. Javert poses as a rebel in order to spy on them, but is quickly exposed by Gavroche and captured. During the ensuing gunfight, Éponine saves Marius at the cost of her own life, professing her love to him before she dies. Valjean, intercepting the letter from Marius to Cosette, goes to the barricade to protect Marius. After saving Enjolras from snipers, he is allowed to execute Javert. However, when the two are alone, Valjean frees Javert, telling him to run. Initially disbelieving, Javert wonders at Valjean's generosity.

With the Parisians not joining the revolution as the students expected, they resolve to fight to the death. Everyone is killed but Marius, who is saved when Valjean drags his unconscious body into the sewers. Thénardier, scavenging the dead bodies, steals Marius's ring. Valjean recovers and escapes the sewers carrying Marius, but is confronted at the exit by Javert. Javert threatens to shoot Valjean if he refuses to surrender, but Valjean ignores him. Unable to reconcile the conflict between his civil and moral duties, two things which he always considered the same, Javert commits suicide.

Later, Marius mourns for his friends but Cosette comforts him. Revealing his past to Marius, Valjean tells him he must leave because his presence endangers Cosette, and makes Marius promise never to tell her. Marius and Cosette marry; the Thénardiers crash the reception and testify that they saw Valjean carrying a murdered corpse through the sewers. Thénardier unwittingly shows Marius the ring that he stole from him as "proof." Recognising the ring, Marius realises that it was Valjean who saved his life. Being told Valjean's location by Thénardier, Marius and Cosette depart to find him.

As Valjean sits dying in a local convent, he perceives the spirit of Fantine appearing to take him to Heaven. Cosette and Marius rush in to bid farewell. Valjean hands Cosette his confession of his past life, and the spirits of Fantine, Éponine and the Bishop guide him to paradise, where he joins the spirits of Enjolras, Gavroche, and the other rebels at the barricade.
(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

No new crafts yet, still working on a few - one I was working on turned out to be a flop so that one won't get an airing, LOL  'Til next time.......

32 comments:

Angela said...

I am going tomorrow with my "ladies-who-lunch" friends, I hope I love it like I loved the stage show :)

Anonymous said...

impressive summary! - told you you would love it!
Dawn

Fun60 said...

It is not released here until Friday so am really looking forward to seeing it. I downloaded the book free from Amazon but didn't quite realise how long it is so not sure when I will get around to reading it.

Christina said...

Oh my goodness I was in tears just reading the story of the film and now I can't wait to go see it. I will take two BOXES of tissues with me as I'm sure that I'll need them. Understanding the plot will make it better so thanks for explaining what the story is all about. And when Fantine sings "I Have A Dream" thats it ... I will be a float with tears. xx

Anna said...

Hi Chris, thanks for your visit and kind comment.
I've seen les Misérables but a French version of 1982.
Your blog is very diversify and I'm following it !
Have a great day !
Hug
Anna

peggy said...

That was nice that you gave us the summary. We rented the old movie with Liam Neeson to get the story and it was the same, now I can sit back and enjoy the music and the story we love.

Elaine said...

I haven't been to the movies for years lol honestly we get it when it comes on DVD now that they are released so quick now a days ! I am glad you enjoyed . Have a good day !

Julie Plemons said...

I can't wait to see this. Waiting for my Little Mister to get well so we can find a babysitter!

A Quiet Corner said...

I am anxious to see this too! A true classic!...:)JP

Melissa said...

I've read the unabridged book numerous times and seen the musical numerous times plus tried various movie adaptations of this Les Miserables but this movie version tops all movie versions I cried the first time I saw it not so much the second time but I did get weepy - it is amazing!!

Self Sagacity said...

Thanks Chris for coming by and introducing yourself. It's nice to meet you too. I am looking forward to more of your visits and reading your blog. You are so followed. Smiles.

Pam said...

This one is on my list!

Donna Huisinga said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and following. I am retired too and loving it. I'll be checking back in.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Chris,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!
Hope you had a lovely holiday season.
I did.
Soon I will be going to see that movie. I have seen the musical and loved it.

Hugs

Craftychris said...

I will be going to see the film too, it looks fab! Happy New Year and Happy Crafting! xx

Rosalie said...

Dear Chris,
Thank you for visiting with me and the kind words. I was very happy about it. I wish you a good time and send best wishes to Canada.
Rosalie

Huckleberry Love said...

I LOVED this movie! I saw it on Christmas Day with a friend of mine. It's just as good as I hoped it would be. :)

Weaver Birdie said...

Thats an interesting story....i must watch the movie! :) Thanks for your visit! That was a pleasant surprise. I love your blog and would visit for sure. Have a happy day! :)

Annmarie Pipa said...

We saw it twice!!

Cindy B. said...

Hi Chis, thanks for following, I'm now your newest follower. The movie story sound exciting. I haven't seen it yet. I love reading thrillers too. I'm also trying to get back into crafting soon. Enjoy your day :)

Luna said...

Hi Mrs. Chris... thank you for stopping by and for leaving such a warm comment in my crochet cottage. That is my hobbie since I was a child,learned with my Math teacher ,going to her house after school, obviously with my parents authorization.Until now....I love to crochet in my off days and sometimes after work.
You have such a beautiful blog.Les Miserables...guess what?..I haven't see it yet...No time...working,working ,working.
Nice meeting you thru this beautiful blog.

Have a wonderful week.

A.Luna
My Crochet,Mis Tejidos

Gwen said...

I'm thinking of reading the book but I read a lot of good reviews s Im watchng it instead. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Have a good weekend. I'm your new follower, too!

xx,
Gwen
http://junior-executive.blogspot.com

Labrijoy @ Reality Strikes Mommy said...

Hi Chris, I will watch this movie when our move is over. Thank you very much for stopping by my blog. Following your blog as well!

Laura @ Keeping Up With the Kellehers said...

I loved this movie so much! I really enjoyed it on Broadway and worried that the movie couldn't do it justice, but it really was well done.

la petite lulu said...

This has reminded me that my husband and I really need to book the sitter to go see this one! I saw the theatre production in London and fell in love with the story - I'm curious to see what they've done with the movie (although, usually anything with Hugh Jackman is a winner for me!).

AJ said...

:) I loved that movie!! TEARS! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am a new follower as well!

Jenn said...

Haven't seen this yet, but it is my all time favourite stage production... hoping to get to the theatre soon!

Thanks for stopping in for a visit. You have a lovely spot here and I'm happily following along.

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤... Jennifer
http://jennsrandomscraps.blogspot.ca
http://pinterest.com/jennp6

Kate Campbell said...

I loved it, too. I took my mother and my daughter. I thought that Anne Hathaway was amazing.

Barb said...

Hello Chris,

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such kind comments. I am following your blog thru Feedly...kind of like Google Reader. I love antiques and I look forward to seeing more of your re-do's. I would love to own that curio you have featured on your banner! Oh my word! It's just lovely!

A group of our family members went to see Les Miserables after Christmas dinner. We all enjoyed it. The music was breath-taking. I thought many of the actors did outstanding jobs. The cinematography was absolutely brilliant! I plan to see it again real soon.

Have a great week!
~Barb :)

DGMommy Tamara said...

Thank you for visiting my blog! I loved the thoughtful comment. I am so eager to see this! I've saw the musical in Toronto 2 or 3 times as a teenager and it remains one of my favorites. Off to check the movie times... perhaps I can squeeze it in one of these days when my children are all in school!

Susan Peck said...

I went on Christmas Day to see this and just loved it! Thank you for visiting my blog and I'm returning the favor and following you.

marie said...

Hi Chris, I saw this movie on Christmas Day. Loved every minute of it. It's definitely one of my all-time favorites!! I can't wait to see it again.

Thanks for visiting my blog...it's so nice to meet you!