Total Pageviews

Thursday 19 July 2012

Celebrations

This year the Sault is celebrating 100 years.  Here is a lovely floral tribute just down the road from where I live................



From Thursday up to and including Saturday, there will be festivities taking place in the park across the road - it's called RotaryFest, which I believe has been going on for about 90 years.  Usually I take part in it by selling my crafts but this year I have opted not to do any Craft Shows and rely on other means to sell my creations, but I could live to regret it.


Tuesday I had lunch with a lovely group of ladies, Anne, Dawn and Viv.  We went to Frida's, a recently opened Mexican Restaurant.  Not my type of food but the others seemed to enjoy it very much.  The ambience was delightful................




This is what I ordered - couscous.  Not too bad.



Wednesday I met up with a couple of friends who also help out at The Queen's Cupboard - Pat was away or else she would have come also.  Carol, Gary and I dropped into Timmies for a libation and then we went to Value Village, Habitat for Humanity and then the thrift store at St. Vincent's.  We didn't really find too many bargains but Carol did find a couple of items to work her magic on.  Can't wait to see what she does with these.

I just made a little sundress - Laurie my buddy down the hall told me how to make it.  Not bad considering I haven't made clothes in about 30 years...................


Today (Thursday) Pat and I went to Gros Cap to visit a dear friend Cheryl.  She used to own the gently used clothing store Cheryl & Co. and she would feature my jewelry and made the most sales for me.  I sure miss that store.  Cheryl retired from it about two years ago but she is still working at her "real" job for a few more years.  Her hubby retired recently and they built a gorgeous home on the edge of Lake Superior.  We had a delightful visit......................


Pat & Cheryl


Cheryl's beautiful lakeside property





I would have to be out in a boat to be able to get good photos of the property.  Cheryl was telling us that on the site was a little Church which they have broken up into two smaller properties, one now being her hubby's workshop and the smaller of the two being a guest house.  You have to take my word that everything is beautifully decorated in such an unique way.

Also today along with the RotaryFest is the re-inactment of the 1812 War, see below:


"It was 200 years ago - June 18th, 1812 - that war was declared.  U.S. President James Madison signed a declaration of war against Great Britain on this day, marking the start of the War of 1812.  It would be a month later when the Sault Ste. Marie, St. Joseph Island and Thessalon communities prepared for the first military manoeuvers."

I managed to snap a few pictures as I passed by today.............








Work on this continues up to the 21st July and is enjoyed by many.

Tonight myself and a few friends popped across the road to listen to a lovely variety of music in the bandshell.  We even treated ourselves to a nice spicey sausage on a bun.


And finally, I just wanted to mention the cushion covers on which I painted last night.  I had made the covers a week or so ago and was waiting until I felt brave enough to paint crows on them.  Well, last night was the night.  Actually, they turned out quite nice.  I just have to decide what kind of "eye" I shall give them, whether it should be painted or a bead.............









I just met two delightful brothers who hail from London, Ontario, (Richard and Dave, a singing duo, dressed in 1812 costumes).  They are taking part in the 1812 re-enactment which is going on here in the Sault, as mentioned above.  I met them at the City Meat Market and I treated them to a libation (pop of course, not rum).  I had lived in London, along with my young family, 25 years or so ago and we chatted a few moments and I told them that I had worked in a few London schools as a Library Aide and it turned out that one of the lads' children attend one of the schools where I worked.  Here they are, you can see they are brothers...............


They even serenaded me.

I have many blog friends who make fabulous greeting cards and one of these days I am going to take some photos of the cards I have made (I think I have made about 500), but will only force you to look at a few, LOL.  They are nothing compared with the professionalism of these cardmakers but, nonetheless, they are my attempt at cardmaking without any fancy tools.  I have sold some but folks are not knocking my door down to get them and you will see why.  Until next time.....Hugs.