Total Pageviews

Monday 5 September 2011

Summer's End

Well, it really isn't the end of summer, not officially anyway, but the weather here today was absolutely, downright cold.  The temperature was 10 degrees celcius and that's pretty cool for around here at this time of year.  I notice from the weather forecast that it will get warmer for the rest of the week and for that I am grateful because this week I am heading down south to see my darling grandson and his mummy and daddy on the Greyhound bus and nice weather would be a blessing.  The evenings are drawing in and it gets darker much earlier now.  In some ways I like this as it is cozy indoors but not good if you still want to be out and about.  Living downtown I always make sure that I am home before sunset, unless of course I am with a friend with a vehicle.


I was not very happy today, well, actually it was yesterday that it started, but the bus that I have been catching home for years is not going to make it's usual stop at the Mall.  It was so handy, especially if one had made lots of purchases, to catch the bus just there, where it is also protected from any bad weather.  From inside the mall entrance one could watch the bus approaching from the Main Street.  I was so upset by this that I wrote a letter to the local Transport Manager and I said that I was writing on behalf of myself and others who are not familiar with voicing their opinions.  I don't suppose it will change anything but at least I think they should be told, afterall, it is the general public who keep the wheels turning, right? 


Well, that is off my chest, now what next?......................

As I said earlier, the evenings are drawing to a close much sooner.  It's dark now by 8.00 p.m. whereas just a short while ago it was at least 9.30-10.00 p.m. before it was dark.  I don't really mind, I certainly make sure that I am home before it starts to get dusky.  Living downtown it's not a good idea to be out alone when it is like that, so I make sure that whatever I do, I'm home when the sun starts to go down.  Here are a couple of pictures of what it is like around at 8.30 p.m..................




Okay, now onto something else.  I had just typed in a whole load of stuff and the blog said it was saving it, but.............it all disappeared.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  I have to try and think of what I wrote now.  So, if I have repeated anything, you'll understand why.  Darn.

Recently I told you that I had sunburned my face whilst doing a craft show last weekend in the "country".  The burn on my face is okay now but my lips are still sore and swollen.  They are better than they were, the pain was something awful, can't believe that such a small area could cause so much pain.  Here's a pic of how much better they are, still somewhat swollen but healing.  Who needs Botox?...............



"I feel pretty, oh so pretty" - do you ladies remember me singing that to you at work and how much you used to hate it?  I miss those days when we had so much fun with Jane, Doreen, Marlene, Joan, Gloria, Nancy, Helena, Beth, just to name a few.  We would get into some mischief, but all in good fun and we ALWAYS got our work done.

Last evening one of my sons, Gareth, came over for supper and brought his lovely girlfriend, Chelsie, with him.  Supper was delish, at least everyone thought.  I served: porketta, new baby potatoes boiled in their skins, broccoli, mashed turnip (Gareth's favourite), gravy, Italian style tomatoes and cucumbers and of course the regular garden salad and garlic bread.  We finished it off with walnut pie and cream.    Gareth's girlfriend is of Italian background so is not used to my cooking, but then again, who is? LOL  She really did enjoy the new potatoes and gravy and couldn't get enough of them.  How sweet and to think I was worried.  I know what to feed her next time she visits!!!  I've already been told what to serve the next two times they come over.  Gareth told me that he would like ham and scalloped potatoes and then another time, roast beef, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding.  Of course I will oblige.  Oh, I made this little arrangement for a centerpiece for the table...................


After their visit, I moved the arrangement to the living room.



Something special I have to mention.  A dear friend and neighbour Laurie has just opened an online Etsy shop where she will be selling her beautiful art.  I think it would be a great idea if you popped on over there to check it out.  Here is the link...........


All the very best and much success Laurie.  I'm sure that you will do very, very well.

Oh, three friends, myself and two others, made it to the September issue of SNAP which is a local magazine depicting many interesting events in the community.   http://www.snapsoo.com/  We had been at a musical evening where a very talented young man (Joseph Kargi) played the piano and sang, very well I might add.  Anyway, here we are......................


One last thing, I sold another of my "Chats" to a lovely lady who volunteers at the library where I worked.  I hope you have fun with it Sandra.



Well, that's it for today - I sure have waffled on and on.  I hope you find something of interest here, or at least have a chuckle.  Until I talk to you again, be safe and God bless.