Total Pageviews

Sunday, 21 October 2012

3 more sleeps

Can you tell, I am so excited to be going to see my darling grandchildren.  If they only knew how much I miss them - miss their parents also, but I won't tell them that, LOL  Seriously though, I really do miss my kids, but then you mothers (and fathers) know exactly what I am talking about, once your children leave the nest.  We may not keep telling them, but deep down in our hearts it is never the same.  I would love to go back in time to when the kidlets were five and under.  So much work but so much love (hugs and cuddles and wet kisses) and satisfaction.  They have just moved into a new home and I'm looking forward to seeing that too.  So much excitement.  I hope I can be a blessing to them and help out a little.


I will be travelling by Greyhound bus (13 hours there and then the same on the return).  It used to be that you would purchase your ticket and then just hop on the bus after you packed your suitcase, but not anymore.  I have to make sure that my cell phone is fully charged, my Avista notebook's battery is okay, my Canon camera is charged and ready to use and last, but not least, my Sony e-reader is all set to go with a few books downloaded.  So much to do, LOL  On top of that, I have to make sure that I gather up all the cords needed to operate the above.

My trip is a dual purpose one.  The twin brother of the son with the kidlets is receiving his MBA whilst I am there visiting and I will be attending his Graduation Ceremony.  Proud mum or what?  This will be his third degree.  He will be catching me up, as I am always giving the kids the third degree or pleading the fifth degree, LOL

As always, I have been keeping busy.  This retirement business takes up more time than when I was working........  I must have St. Vitus Dance or something (no offense to anyone) because I cannot just sit and do nothing.  You would think that with all my health issues I would be pleased to just suit quietly and relax, but no... in fact, I think that my busyness keeps me going.

Our Boutique is coming along slowly.  We just need people to learn of us and come and visit.  This past Saturday was deado, between all three of us we didn't even hit $50.

My brother in Stockport, Cheshire has been quite ill - he fell and broke his hip a couple of weeks ago and was recovering quite well then fell again and broke his femur under the new hip.  He was not expected to survive the anesthetic, but Praise the Lord he did.  I beseech you to pray for him that he will recover.  He also has sclerosis of the liver which really complicates things.

As I won't be blogging whilst I am away, here are some of the new things I have done...............

Altered Art


Candle Holders



Some Plaques



This idea for the Hot Baths I stole from Laurie.  She doesn't mind, she's always giving me ideas, what a friend.  There isn't a jealous or selfish bone in her body - she is always giving and then giving more.
I turned this little shelf from this...

Into this.......

My effort at painting a Fall acrylic painting....

And a few other paintings I did, the last one only the frame I repainted.............





This one of the ladies was given to me by my lovely friend Carol (my partner in crime in the Boutique).  It was very old and ugly but now I think is adorable!!!  Thanks Carol.  Unfortunately, the pictures didn't come out very well, the light reflected off the glass.

I found this Rooster plaque at one of the thrift stores, so cute....


 This delightful lantern for candles was given to me by my sweet friend Laurie (who is a wonderful artist) - she also found it at a local thrift store, lucky me.


And this adorable handmade pottery flower holder was given to me by the ladies from the Potter's Guild to thank me for marble bags I had sewn up for the children who come into their Studio for pottery lessons.  The school programme is connected with the Old Stone House here in the Sault.



I'm sure you have had enough of my shenanigans for now, so I will leave you with two more photos, my fantastic Christmas cactus.  I have never seen so many blooms on it..... and to think I was considering tossing it because it is so large.  Not for a while now anyway..........



Be happy and healthy and I will be in touch when I return.  Hugs, Chris

42 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed reading the post and looking at all your artwork.I know how you feel about being Mom vs Grandma.I love My 4 daughters just as always but the Grandchildren enchant Me,esp. the new young ones.Oh,all the little babies,sweet as candy.Have prayed for your loved one.Enjoy your trip.Denise from Coffeeberry Cottage-A follower.

l.wilks11 said...

Your blog is delightful to read. Hope you enjoy your time with your family. I know just how you feel.......xx

The Maxell's said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip ahead of you, and a wonderful reminder to me. I will definiltey take more time to hug my little ones before they leave the nest. Have a safe trip :)

xo,
Karen

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Enjoy your trip, it sounds like it's going to be perfect. Why the bus, are you afraid to fly? Praying for your brother. ((HUGS))

Entertaining Women said...

Travel safely. It sounds like you have a wonderful time waiting just down the road...well 13 hours down the road. Cherry Kay

Linda Chapman said...

Good for you!! I trust you will have the best visit ever!!! I know what you mean about missing our children back when they WERE children. One of Amber's quadruplets is the spitting image of HER when SHE was a baby. I look into that sweet little face and feel like I have gone back in time!

Staying busy is what keeps us going, don't you think? I would not be happy to wake up in the mornings with NOTHING to do! Blessings on your trip and congratulations to your whole family on their accomplishments!! Prayers for your brother......

Anne-Elise said...

Wow, so many gorgeous projects, Chris! Enjoy your trip, have a nice time there! Wish your brother a speedy recovery! Hugs

Grandma Bonnie said...

I love all your new projects. The Rooster plaque has got to be my favorite. It sure would be hard to not miss such lovely grandchildren. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Buttons said...

Oh Chris do enjoy that time with your Grandchildren.
I hope your brother will continue to improve.
Have fun on the bus I love the bus and yes it takes so much electronics to go away now. What did we ever do before:) B

Christine said...

enjoy your precious time away Chris!

Gina said...

Have a safe trip!

Terri Lynn Grothe said...

Thanks for coming by Rambling Momma
Have a safe trip and looking forward to reading all about it when you return

Ana Filipa said...

nice! wow

follow us back? http://lifestylenotesbyaf.blogspot.com/

Deidre Miller said...

Those dance photos are incredible. I love LOVE love them. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Deidre
Love, The Skinnys

Laurie said...

hi hi, its me, I love all the new creations and I feel honored you like what I do enough to do them also, I started my new blog!!Come see me!!

Craftychris said...

Have a brilliant time with your grandchildren. Your makes are all wonderful - you are a busy lady as always! My thoughts are with your brother, I hope he starts to recover soon xx

Life as a Bird said...

You seem Like such a sweet person. thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now your newest follower. Can't wait to get to know you more through your blog.

xoxo Kim

Kristi Thetford said...

Chris! So nice to meet you :)
Thank you so very much for leaving a comment and letting me know you are a new follower!! It is so sweet of you to say, I am a new follower for you as well and I loved your post! I love to see what people create. Happy to hear you are getting to visit your sweet grandchildren! Look forward to getting to know you more through your blog.

in Him,
XOXO

SimplyyMayra said...

Hola Chris!
Thanks so much for the comment and the love and support! I wish my retirement is as blessed as yours! Sounds awesome. You have a great trip!

~SimplyyMayra :)

Sheila@TheFailteHouse said...

Beautiful work and you are so brave for hoping on a 13 hour bus ride! I am sure your business will take off soon :)

Provocative Manners said...

We love the Ballerina paintings! What a fun blog, thanks for sending us over and reading our blog! ~ Danielle Marie & Katrina ~ @ http://www.provocativemanners.blogspot.com

CoastWithMe said...

Great post, Chris! I'm your newest follower:)! Check out my blog if you'd like!

Rita @ www.CoastWithMe.com

Feisty Mama said...

Wonderful blog you have here yourself. I am sure you noticed I have twin daughters and I am happy that at the age of 10 they still give me lots of love and still live at home of course. I dont' know what I will do with myself when I am an empty nester probably be busy like you. Have a safe trip and enjoy your grandbabies.

Erika said...

Have a fun and safe trip! Thank you for stopping by The Linden Life. :)

Hwin said...

Hi Chris! Thank you for following my blog :) Yours is so charming and lovely. I hope to visit often! Sincerely, Hwin

The Not Quite Military Wife said...

How exciting that you get to go see your grandchildren! I bet they can't wait to see you! Thanks for linking up with us for Mommy Moments!
thenotquitemilitarywife.blogspot.com

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Said a prayer for your brother! And I'm impressed with your industry! So many wonderful projects! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Lisamarie said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! You seem like such a sweet lady. I look forward to the time, oh in thirty years maybe, when I can retire too! Have fun with your kids and be safe on that greyhound!

Annmarie Pipa said...

hope it was fun!!!
your art is beautiful.

mady dooijes said...

hope you are having a lovely time with your children and grandchildren. hope all the electronics were fully charged.... thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. warmly, mady x

Amy said...

enjoy your quality time!

http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

Evelyn S. said...

Have a wonderful trip to see your family!

Anne Kimball said...

Hi Chris! Thanks for stopping by my Life on the Funny Farm blog (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com) the other day, and for following! Nice blog you have here, and such beautiful craftwork. You really do seem like you love your retirement. Enjoy your trip to see the grandkids!

Karen said...

Hi Chris,

I am delighted that you found, and decided to follow my blog! How did you find me? I am now following you as well, and I hope you are, or have had a great time visiting your grandies (and kidlets).

Ellie said...

Hi Chris, nice to meet you :)
Thanks for coming over and following, I'm not following you too.
I can totally relate to your post about children. My eldest daughter moved away a couple of months ago and is now pregnant with our first grandchild. I miss her like crazy and we are so excited about the new grandbaby. Life just isn't the same without her here. She is healthy and happy though and that is all we can ask for isn't it.
Enjoy your time away :))

Kerri said...

So Talented!! I LOVE the Fall Painting!!!

Maple Lane said...

Very nice to meet you and I am now following you!

Janet said...

Hi Chris, thank you for your kind comments. You also have a new follower! I really like your unique art. What a creative mind you have!

Candy C. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your paintings and plaques and the candle holders with the ladels are really cute! I'm jealous of your Christmas cactus, mine hasn't bloomed in several years, I think it gets too much light.
Sending out good thoughts for your brother!

Valerie said...

Chris, I'm so glad you found my blog, because now I have the pleasure of reading your blog too!

I love this post! As the mother of of a precious soon to be 17 year old daughter who will graduate from high school in 2014, I think about and dread being an "empty nester." It will be hard for me because we are very close. I know I'll find comfort knowing that other moms have gone through the same thing:)

I had to laugh when you mentioned St. Vitus Dance. My dad used to say that to me all the time because I was a very fidgety child:)

I love your art work, your writing, and your musings on your life in general, and I'm looking forward to staying in touch here! Have a safe trip, and a wonderful visit with all of your precious family! Hugs, Valerie

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

Thank you for following and leaving a comment on my blog. Enjoy your children and grandchildren! I love all my gadgets, but hate all those cords you have to pack for them. :/

Lisa said...

My mother always jumps for joy when she gets to see her grand child. Enjoy your time with your family.